current Stock Bridge which crosses
the Water of Leith form Deanhagh Street
to Raeburn Place replaced the original
'Stock' or timber foot bridge (stocc
brycg) which spanned theriver between
the estates of Deanhaugh and St. Bernards.
the plague reads, it was erected
in 1786, commisisoned by Henry Reaburn
and designed by Architect James Milne.
The Bridge as it is today was widened
and improved in 1900 -01 by the Lord
Provost James Steel and engineer
David C. Proudfoot.